I used OpenAI’s new tech to transcribe audio right on my laptop

Illustration of a series of blue microphones on a teal background.
The benefits of AI without the drawbacks of the cloud. | Kristen Radtke / The Verge; Getty Images

OpenAI, the company behind image-generation and meme-spawning program DALL-E and the powerful text autocomplete engine GPT-3, has launched a new, open-source neural network meant to transcribe audio into written text (via TechCrunch). It’s called Whisper, and the company says it “approaches human level robustness and accuracy on English speech recognition” and that it can also automatically recognize, transcribe, and translate other languages like Spanish, Italian, and Japanese.

As someone who’s constantly recording and transcribing interviews, I was immediately hyped about this news — I thought I’d be able to write my own app to securely transcribe audio right from my computer. While cloud-based services like Otter.ai and Trint work for...

Continue reading…



from The Verge - All Posts https://ift.tt/yzLW24r

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Twitter board is reportedly not interested in Elon’s takeover offer

Amazon is acquiring a podcast hosting and monetization platform